Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Cook Once, Eat Twice! Sweet Potato Pancakes

My amazing mother has always been trying to get me to plan ahead when it comes to our weekly menu. She says I should cook once and eat twice, and by doing so save a whole bunch of prep time in the kitchen. So this week, I am going to explore this idea, starting with this morning's breakfast! I had some left over Whipped Sweet Potatoes that we served as a side the other night. I have been itching for a new breakfast option so I decided to get creative this morning. If you missed the post about with the recipe for Whipped Sweet Potatoes here it is:  

"Whipped Sweet Potatoes"

3 Large Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and cubed)
1/4 Cup Coconut Cream
1 Tbsp Ghee
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Pure Organic Honey
Salt to taste

Place peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot and bring to boil. Cook covered until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain water. Mix remaining ingredients together with the sweet potatoes and mash until they reach desired consistency. 


This morning all I had to do was grab the container of left over potatoes and stir in one beaten egg. From there I heated a pan on medium heat and melted about a tablespoon of Ghee (purified butter). Then I scooped pancake sized scoops of the mixture into the pan. Cook on first side until pancake browns around the edges and center starts to look more solid. Flip and cook on the other side. Meanwhile, I sliced a few strawberries to serve with my pancakes. Total this breakfast took me about 15 minutes and I REALLY enjoyed it!

"Sweet Potato Pancakes"

2 Cups Left over "Whipped Sweet Potatoes" 
1 Egg, beaten
1-2 Tablespoon(s) Ghee


Serve with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of coconut flakes! Mom was totally right on this one. Making a little extra whipped sweet potatoes with dinner required no extra effort and then  made breakfast this morning extremely simple. I hope you enjoy it! 



2 comments:

  1. This is a dumb question, but isn't paleo no dairy? Is Ghee not considered dairy? I know nothing! Educate me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shanny! Your question is NOT dumb at all. Ghee is butter and butter is dairy so in absolute strict paleo sense we should not use it. However, many of the highly respected Paleo sources I have consulted suggest Ghee as the healthiest alternative to butter when the Ghee is organic and purified. You can read more about it at http://whole9life.com/2011/10/butter/. I am not a nutritionist or even a Paleo expert. I am still learning and experimenting with what works for my body and the health of our family. I hope that link answers your question. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete