Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Taco Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Happy Tuesday!

Yesterday I was feeling like getting creative in the kitchen. So, I made up a new recipe that seriously scores 5 stars at our house! Taco Stuffed Mushroom Caps.

"Taco Stuffed Mushroom Caps"

1 Pound Ground Sirloin
15-20 fresh mushrooms, washed and stems removed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1 Handful of Black Olives (Sorry, this is not a precise, count every olive type of recipe!) 
2 Tbsp Guacamole 

fresh cilantro
Fresh salsa

So, first you are going to brown 1 pound of fresh ground sirloin. Season the sirloin with cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and an onion if you must. My measurements above for the spices are to our taste, but taco meat can be more mild or have more kick depending on your tastes so experiment with what you like.

COOK ONCE EAT TWICE TIP- It does NOT take an entire pound of taco meat to stuff mushroom caps! So after I browned and seasoned the meat I put half of it in a container in my refrigerator to reappear in a new form today at lunch!

Next, I mixed the remaining half of the taco meat with about 2 tablespoons of guacamole* and a handful of chopped black olives. Once mixed together, spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Place mushroom caps in a glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with your favorite organic salsa and some fresh cilantro. I ate these up as lunch yesterday, and then my husband gobbled up the rest of them when he got home from work. They were very good! These would also make a fun dish to serve at a party!


*Guacamole is made from avocados, tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and garlic. It is easy to make. I will post my recipe another time. (If you rather buy guacamole, that is fine. Always watch your ingredients to be sure that everything is fresh and meets your own diet standards. If it has ingredients you can't pronounce or don't recognize, it probably isn't good for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment