Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Finger Food Feast

Happy Monday to you!

Last night we strayed from the usually big Sunday dinner. There have been MANY recipes I have wanted to try and just never seem to get around to trying them. So last night, I finally gave them a go! First I must give credit where credit is due. Everyone should own "Everyday Paleo, Family Cookbook" by Sarah Fragoso. This is an outstanding cookbook and packed full of great ideas and information. The recipes posted today are adapted from this cookbook. I say "adapted from" because I never can seem to leave a recipe alone. I will list what is in the cookbook, and then tell you what I did as well.

Tuna Stuffed Eggs

6 hard-boiled eggs
2 Tbsp Mayonaise
1 Green Onion (I leave this out due to my distaste for onion)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon or yellow mustard
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
1 6 oz can tuna, drained

Peel hard boiled eggs and slice in half lengthwise, scooping out the yoke. Mix egg yokes with other ingredients, stirring in the Tuna last. Spoon the yoke mixture back into the hallowed out egg. We added  2 tablespoons of Dill Pickle Relish to this as well as a sprinkle of paprika.


This recipe got a great review from my family. I now plan to sneak these into after school snacks and even lunch boxes. I think that the weekend is a great time to try new recipes. Sending my kids off to school with something brand new in their lunches makes me nervous. What if they don't like it? I hate the thought of my child, or any child for that matter, hungry. So I try out recipes on the weekend when we are not rushed. Then if we have a failed attempt, there is time to try something else, and I know not to send it to school.

We also had this fresh tray of veggies with a wonderful dip!


Credit goes to my adorable husband for arranging these veggies to look so pretty! What a big helper he can be. :-)

What is the dip you ask??? Would you believe me if I told you that I got my kids to eat vegetables dipped in vegetables?! Seriously, I felt like a nutrition ninja! This wonderful dip, also from Sarah Fragoso's "Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook". Soon there will be an entire section on this blog featuring the many wonders of Cauliflower.

Cauliflower Hummus

4 cups steamed cauliflower
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Steam cauliflower until fork tender. Drain and cool. Once cauliflower is cool place in a food processor along with remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth.

We enjoyed this recipe, though as always have thought of variations to try in the future. We like a little more kick, so we thought of perhaps adding some roasted red peppers and a touch more cumin. The fun part about cooking is that there are so many possibilities!




No comments:

Post a Comment